- Barbie’s Latest Career Move: Some are calling the newest Barbie book entitled “I Can Be a Computer Engineer” sexist because in the book Barbie creates an idea for a product but needs a man’s help to produce the product she designed. Rosie P thinks the book is insulting to all the girls who are coding, applying to MIT and have dreams of becoming scientists and engineers. Nicolle would like to see the authors “over correct” and make the men in the story wear cute outfits and have them serve Barbie drinks while she runs the world. She would like to see a President Barbie. Rosie O thinks Barbie has come a long way from her childhood, when her mother wouldn’t let her have a Barbie because she thought the toy was a bad role model for young girls. Rosie O was allowed to have Skipper she never thought she was as good as the real Barbie. Whoopi pointed out that it wasn’t until 1962 that Barbie came out with their first black Barbie! One of The View producers then corrected Nicolle and let her know there is an “I Can Be President Barbie.” Rosie O said there is a Rosie O’Donnell Barbie doll but her Barbie legs and body are twice the size of the normal Barbie legs and body. None of the other Barbie clothes fit the Rosie O Barbie but she said that she has her one red suit and she’s proud of it! Whoopi said there’s a Whoopi Barbie too! Rosie P doesn’t have her own Barbie but said there’s a Puerto Rican Barbie. In the end, they all applauded Barbie for how far she’s come.
- Snap Cash: Photo sharing app Snapchat has just added a new feature called Snapcash so that users can wire money back and forth. Parents are in a panic because they feel this is going to tempt kids to trade nude photos of themselves for cash. Rosie O has banned the use of Snapchat for her teens but she thinks if a kid wants to send a naked picture it doesn’t take money for them to do it, unfortunately. Rosie P thinks we’ve now put that thought (that kids can now get paid to show their private parts through Snapchat) in their minds when they might not have even been considering it before. She wonders if parents are worried about it because they know their kids will do it. And she wondered what the legality of this feature is since the children are minors. Nicolle thinks to be a parent in the modern age requires an advanced degree in new social media and she feels like she’s going to have to get on Facebook and Twitter in order to understand the technology as her son gets older. She thinks the gap of knowledge between kids and adults is more than we can handle right now. Rosie O said her daughter can get online with “two toothpicks and a Q-tip.” Her daughter once secretly used her Kindle to get online and chat with her friends using the Pandora chat feature. Whoopi knows that kids don’t have the money to purchase this technology and she wonders if parents are so worried, why are they buying it for them. She said, “You have to be an asshole!” She discussed how she once put her daughter’s phone in the microwave for not following to her rules regarding the device. Nicolle and Rosie O said many parents don’t even know the many ways their kids are creating and learning how to get online. And everyday there’s a new app out there that allows kids to text each other without their parents knowing about it. Rosie P thinks that it’s sad, scary and heartbreaking that sexting is the new form on flirting. And instead of revealing their character, children today feel the need to reveal their bodies. And she also finds it troubling how a lot of young people are learning about sex through pornography thinking that is the norm.
- Instagram Fame: A little girl who is making a fortune through online photos on Instagram promoting products. She’s 5 years old, has over 1 million followers and people are criticizing her parents for exploiting her. Whoopi wanted to know if this fosters the idea that we have to live out our lives online. Rosie O talked about Parker and how he was at first hesitant to connect with her through social media. But after she talked about him being on Twitter on The View the other day, he got a lot more likes and followers. She tried to tell him that the amount of views and/or followers he has doesn’t really matter. She also tries to teach her daughter that her body is something to cherish and she should only give it away on her own terms. Nicolle is terrified with how she will teach her son that it is not okay to offer money to a girl in order to see her breasts through a social media platform. She said in politics, our representatives are being misguided thinking they have masses of supporters when all they really have are Twitter followers kicking up a storm. She said it’s pervasive to all people young and old. Rosie P thinks its fine for parents to show pictures of their children via social media but she has a problem with parents turning their child into a celebrity. She worries about the downfalls of being a celebrity for the child. Nicolle said celebrities are on Capitol Hill every year pleading with politicians to change the laws so that paparazzi can’t take photos of their children. Nicolle thinks it’s dangerous and a child’s privacy is something you never get back.
- A Celebrity Birthday Party Package: A New York party planning company is offering a children’s birthday party that gives them the full celebrity experience complete with red carpets, guest lists, paparazzi, and bouncers. The parties can cost up to $10,000. Rosie P thinks we live in a celebrity driven culture but she’s gone to children’s birthday parties that cost much more than that. She thinks it may be glamorizing the experience and that might stick with the children and manifest itself as a desire to be famous when they grow up. Nicolle is getting ready to plan her son’s 3 year birthday party and she was thinking more along the lines of farm animals for a theme. Rosie O said she has a great name of a guy who does farm animal parties and Nicolle said she would call him as long as there were no owls. Apparently she has a fear of owls and then Rosie O joked and started miming which sent everyone into an uproar.
- Black Friday One Week Away: To access thousands of deals on gifts for everyone on your shopping list visit RetailMeNot.com or download their app! RetailMeNot gave everyone in the studio audience a $100 Visa gift-card to help them beat the holiday rush!
Allison Janney: Actress Allison Janney, one of the stars of the television series Masters of Sex and Mom, joined the ladies of The View to sit down and discuss her recent projects. Nicolle told Allison how much her character CJ Craig, from the series The West Wing, meant to her. She was beyond excited to meet her. Nicolle said CJ Craig was the reason she thought she could someday work in the oval office. Allison said she loves to hear that but they have Aaron Sorkin to thank for that. Allison talked a little about why she decided to do the series Masters of Sex. She said she signed on without a script because she loved the idea behind it that much. She said it wasn’t an easy decision for her to be naked in the series but it was a beautiful story line and that helped her make her decision to do it. Allison hopes to come back to Broadway soon and may have something cooking on the back burner but she wouldn’t say what exactly. Allison and Anna Faris have been asked to host The People’s Choice Awards together on January 7th. In her role on the series Mom, Allison said she decided to take the role because she got to perform in front of a live studio audience and have a life outside of work. She also liked the fact that her character is in recovery from alcoholism and she was happy to tell that story on television. They showed an old clip of her from a guest spot she did on Guiding Light and talked about her role in the 2013 film The Way Way Back. Mom airs Thursday nights on CBS at 8:30/7:30(c)!
Frozen Toy Bonanza: Rosie O showed the audience the many Frozen inspired toys available for children this holiday season along with two adorable little girls who helped demonstrate all the fun items! The toys included Frozen Wall Friends, Light Vines-Snow & Ice Strong Lights, the Elsa Singing Doll, the Hide and Hug Olaf, Mix ‘Em Up Olaf, the Olaf Snow Cone Machine, the MOBO Tot Frozen Cruiser and the LeapPad 3 from LeapFrog.com with apps for Frozen.
Audience Giveaway: Everyone in the studio audience received a $100 gift card from RetailMeNot and all of the Frozen gifts mentioned during the Frozen segment!!!
Take a little time and enjoy The View!