In case you missed it…
- Secret Service Scandal: The View panel began today’s show by discussing the latest revelations in the White House fence jumper case. It turns out the jumper not only got into the White House but made it into the East Room, only feet from the first family’s residence. Nicolle said both Democrats and Republicans are equally irate over these latest details and she thinks heads are going to roll. Rosie P wanted to make sure it’s clear that this occurrence wasn’t blamed on Obama. Nicolle never thinks it’s the President’s fault when there’s a White House breach. Nicolle said it’s the Secret Service’s single job to protect the life of the first family. Whoopi was offended by the fact that there’s a video of the intruder running into the White House. Nicolle said the Secret Service is permitted to shoot at their own discretion, but now their discretion is in doubt. One time when Rosie P was invited to the White House she had an injury that required her to use a cane and the Secret Service almost didn’t let her in with it because it could be used as a weapon! Whoopi thinks it might be harder to get into the building at The View! Rosie O agreed and said she had to give a pap smear yesterday morning in order to get in and wondered if that’s because she was new.
- Gender In Media: Actress Geena Davis says Hollywood has the power to get more women elected in real life if they cast more women in political roles in television and film. She said her role as President in Commander and Chief made a significant difference to the political landscape. Nicolle agreed. She said viewers are voters and if they see more women in in powerful roles on TV and in movies then maybe that will make them think it’s possible in real life too. Rosie P also agreed. She said shows like Sex In The City, New Girl and Mindy Project are empowering women who want to make different choices rather than following a more traditional path. Nicolle said there are fewer women today in the political arena than in years past. Rosie O said Geena is one of the smartest women she has ever met and we should all listen to what she has to say. Geena is a member of Mensa and has an organization Institute on Gender in Media. Whoopi really hopes TV isn’t all that influences voters because of all the bad stuff on TV there is to watch!
- Cusack Calls Out Hollywood: John Cusack is in the news for calling out Hollywood as a whorehouse that spits young actors out. Whoopi said “this” (becoming a talk-show host at The View) is what happens to old ho’s! Rosie O agreed with Cusack’s statement and said Amen! Rosie P said Cusack has a point, but if you’re truly talented you can be slowed, but you cannot be destroyed. She said in the end, it’s not just about looking good but being good in front of the camera.
- Walmart Shifts Blame to Seatbelts: Walmart, who is one of the sponsors of The View, is partially blaming some of the injuries that occurred in a June crash that severely injured actor Tracy Morgan on the fact that the passengers weren’t wearing seatbelts. Whoopi said even if they were wearing their seatbelts it still doesn’t explain why the accident occurred, which was because the driver had been awake for more than 24 hours at the time of the accident. Nicolle made a call to Walmart’s press office and Walmart said they weren’t attempting to shift blame. They said it was a technical legal filing and they were eager to resolve it. Rosie O wanted to know how she got their number?! She was impressed! Rosie P said the situation was a tragedy and to remember that Tracy lost a dear friend in the accident. Whoopi was happy to hear Walmart was not attempting to shift blame. Rosie O said her wife was in a terrible car accident a few years ago and is relentless in reminding her to always stay buckled up. Whoopi defended truckers saying that the drivers of the big trucks don’t want these accidents either. She said we have to do better. Rosie O agreed. Rosie O said something has to be done so that the drivers don’t have to drive so many hours and feel pressured to put in overtime just to support their families.
- NFL Feeding Muslim Bias: There’s a new controversy swirling around the NFL after they charged Kansas City Chief’s Husain Abdullah with unsportsmanlike conduct for bowing in prayer after a great play. Whoopi queried if we’re going to allow Tim Tebow to pray after a touchdown, why are other people getting penalized for it? She asked if we’re feeding into Muslim fear. Rosie O said we are because it propels us to war and serves the need to rally the country. Rosie P thinks in the wake of ISIS, the Muslim community has not been given the proper respect and air-time in local and national media outlets in order for them to denounce what the extremists of their religion are doing. She said Muslim voices are not being heard. Nicolle said the NFL should not have penalized Abdullah for unsportsmanlike conduct, but read a statement from the NFL that said players are prohibited from celebrating. The NFL has come out and said there should not have been a penalty on his prayer.
- Even Though Pot Is Legal You Can Still Lose Your Job: The State of Colorado has legalized pot but you can still get fired for getting high. A quadriplegic, who uses medical marijuana, recently failed a drug test at work and lost his job. Nicolle said this is a legal question. She said the courts have traditionally stood up for people and their right to do what they choose while they’re not working. Whoopi asked if you can cross-dress and do what you want in your free time, why can’t you smoke marijuana. Rosie P said it’s more than a state problem but also a Federal problem that the country is going to have to resolve. Whoopi agreed that the topic is not going to go away anytime soon and promised to continue the discussion.
- ATM Fees: A new survey finds that the average fee for using an out-of-network ATM is $4.35, which Whoopi called bank robbery! Nicolle said most people take out $60 on average and said that is a huge percentage! Rosie O pointed out that the ATM fee is the same as a small chai latte at Starbucks.
Lena Dunham: The amazingly brilliant Lena Dunham joined Rosie O for a one-on-one interview all about her new memoir Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She’s “Learned”. They discussed a myriad of topics including her recent appearance on the cover of Vogue Magazine, her hit HBO show Girls, the night they first met at Howard Stern’s birthday bash, and their mutual love of the late Nora Ephron. Lena explained that her memoir is dedicated to Nora. She said it’s hard for her to describe what it was like to be friends with Nora, but she is so grateful to have had her in her life even for the short time that she did. Lena dished to Rosie about the love advice that Nora had shared with her and she talked about how much she wished Nora could have met her boyfriend Jack. Rosie said she and Lena have something else in common besides their mutual love of Nora. She said a lot of people accuse both of them of being “over-sharers.” Rosie asked Lena if she thought that was a sexist thing to say and Lena agreed. She asked if you have ever heard someone tell a man he was sharing too much information. Lena said men are described as brave and opening pathways of communication when they share their life stories, while women are described as dumping too much information on you. Lena said part of the reason she feels she was able to pursue her dreams was because both her parents are artists. She said they made her feel like the pursuit of an artistic career was something possible and achievable. Rosie told Lena that she absolutely adores her and that Lena gives her “hope for the future of women and feminism.”
Jake McDorman and Analeigh Tipton: The stars from the new series Manhattan Love Story joined the panel. They described their new show as a romantic comedy for anyone who’s ever been on a date that messed with their head. The show is about an unlikely pairing of two people who get set up on a blind date. The stars talked about acting in the romantic comedy genre, the other cast members and awkward first dates. The series premiere airs tonight at 8:30|7:30c on ABC.
Randy Couture and Karina Smirnoff: Rosie P was extremely excited to have MMA Fighter Randy Couture and professional dancer Karina Smirnoff on the show because dancing and fighting are two of her favorite things! They were latest couple voted off the hit TV show, Dancing With the Stars. They danced for the studio audience and audience at home.
Audience Gift: Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham
Nicolle: [Regarding the White House fence jumper] “I think heads are going to roll.”
Whoopi: “Always keep your own brain, it’s important!”
Rosie P: “Talent can never be destroyed, it can be slowed or excelled but it can never be destroyed.”
Rosie O: [To Lena Dunham] “You give me hope for the future of women and feminism.”
Lena Dunham: “When a man shares a story, they’re brave and they’re opening pathways for other people’s suffering. When a woman shares a story, they’re hysterics who are forcing their problems onto you.”
And that’s what you missed!